Thursday, August 02, 2012

Khao Soi Recipe by Dan Harris

This blog post was going to be about the localgovcamp2012 which I attended back on the 14th July. However I have just heard some shocking news. Dan Harris was a guy who I have chatted on twitter quite a bit. I did meet him a couple of times at UKGovCamps. At the last one that we were both there, he was chatting about how he was off to the far east on a cycling holiday. I think it was from that holiday that he came back with a recipe for Khao Soi. He would tweet about it every time he made it. I think it was one of his favourite meals. I asked him about it and he very kindly e-mailed me the recipe. I deeply regret that I have yet to try it out.

Sadly Dan was killed yesterday in an accident involving his bike and a bus at the Olympic Village. Shocking news - he was one of life's good guys. Someone who lived life. So in respect for him I dedicate this blog post to him and publish his recipe. I hope this is OK. This weekend I hope to make it and eat and drink in the memory of a truly nice guy. My thoughts are with all his family and friends at this very difficult time.

All the words below are his, not mine.

1 tablespoon oil
1 cup chopped shiitake mushroom
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1/2 cup chopped baby corn
1 tablespoon red curry paste
1 teaspoon curry powder or according to taste
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup water
2 cups fresh Chinese wheat based noodles or about 3 oz dried thin wheat based noodles
1 cup bean sprouts


Toppings and garnishes
2 shallots, chopped
3-4 lime wedges
Chopped coriander
Chopped spring onion

Heat a large wok with oil. Add shitake mushroom, zucchini, baby corn and carrot and cook on high for about 2 minutes. Then add curry paste and curry powder. Toss to coat the vegetables. Add light soy sauce and cook about 30 seconds so the vegetables absorb the liquid. Then add dark soy sauce, brown sugar, and coconut milk. Let the curry simmer for about 2 minutes.

Then pour in water and bring back to a simmer. Taste curry and adjust soy sauce, and sugar to taste.

Bring a large pot full of water to boil noodles. If using dried noodles, cook in boiling water till noodles are very al dente. If using fresh noodles, boil for about 1 minute. No matter what noodles you use, make sure not to over cook them. Drain well.

Add cooked noodles and bean sprouts to the curry broth. Serve Khao Soi in individual bowls.

Serve with chopped shallots, lime wedges, spring onion and coriander on the side.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home